Over the past quarter-century, new information technologies have transformed nearly every sector of our economy, upsetting market power for firms, and creating abundant choice, interactivity, and personalization for consumers. The one industry remarkably absent from this transformation is higher education. COVID has accelerated a long-overdue transformation of the higher education market, and it’s time for us to imagine what abundant choice, interactivity, and personalization could look like in the context of higher education.
In this conversation, our expert panel draw on prior research into the transformation of the entertainment industry, and current research into the delivery of online education to address three key questions facing the academy today:
- Why do new technologies pose a unique threat to our established business model?
- How is the transformation of higher education likely to play out in the market?
- What should educational institutions do to respond to this opportunity?
Featured Speakers: Michael Smith, Professor of Information Technology & Marketing, Heinz College & Tepper School of Business, Professor of Information Technology & Marketing at Carnegie Mellon University and Avi Seidman, Everett W. Lord Distinguished Faculty Scholar Professor, Information Systems; Associate Research Director, Health Analytics and Digital Health, Boston University Digital Business Institute
Moderated by Peter Howard, Executive Director, Boston University Digital Business Institute
- The Great Resignation: Historical Data and a Deeper Analysis Show It’s Not as Great as Screaming Headlines Suggest
- The Wisdom of the Crowd and Prediction Markets
- Nature Human Behavior: Understanding, Explaining, and Utilizing Medical Artificial Intelligence
- Boston Globe: The Next Generation of Business Leaders is Entering a Changed World of Work. Will Their Education Prepare Them?
- ZDNet: Amazing Things Happen When IT and Business Leaders Collaborate
- USA Today: How Easy Will Health Insurers Make it to Get Free, At-Home COVID-19 Tests?
- Harvard Business Review: Digital Transformation Changes How Companies Create Value
- Expert Take: Regulating Prescription Drug Prices While Increasing Innovation
- Forbes: OSHA Launches Investigation Into Amazon Warehouse Hit By Tornado
- StrategicCFO360: First Read: Your Digitalization Agenda